Leaving Certificate business creates an awareness of the importance of business activity and develops a positive and ethical attitude towards enterprise. The learning experiences in business develop students’ critical thinking, creative and organisational skills while enhancing literacy and numeracy skills using real-life examples. Business provides students with a learning foundation for a wide range of careers in business, marketing, law, enterprise and management.
Why Study Business
Business is not specifically required for entry into any third level course but it would certainly be beneficial for candidates who might be interested in courses or careers in the area of finance, enterprise, law and communications.
What kind of student would Business suit?
Business will suit a candidate who is interested in current affairs and listens to the news, reads the papers and stays alert to what is happening in the general business world. While there is a fair share of learning of key concepts the ability to apply these concepts in everyday life will be the difference between passing the subject and getting a good mark.
While the business concepts are easy to understand, it will be important to show that you can apply the concept to everyday business life.
This subject suits someone who has an organised mind and likes to answer questions in bullet points, rather than in long essay format.
This subject would be useful to anyone thinking of starting his or her own business in the future.
- This subject is concerned with understanding the environment in which business operates in Ireland and in the wider world.
- It also involves equipping the students with a positive view of enterprise and its applications in the business environment, in both the public and private sectors.
- There are 7 core units covering the following topics: Introduction to people in business; Enterprise; Managing 1 & 2; Business in action; Domestic Environment and International Environment.
- There is a common syllabus covering Higher and Ordinary level, which will fulfil the aims and objectives of the course.
- A flexibility of design that caters for present day Irish business education and yet is capable of adaptation to future developments in a structured and efficient way.
- It assists students to develop their education for adult and working life including the creation of positive attitudes towards self-employment.
- From time to time there may be field trips or guest speakers where the course allows. These are not a compulsory part of the course and are organised at the teachers’ discretion.
How can you benefit by studying Business for the Leaving Certificate?
- You will understand the Structure and Management of Business.
- You will be able to understand & discuss Current Affairs as they relate to Business.
- You will develop your Communication, Literacy, Numeracy and Problem Solving Skills.
- Many Colleges offer Business courses and courses containing strong Business elements. It is therefore very useful to have a background knowledge from your Leaving Certificate Course.
Finance and Management, Teaching, Marketing, Event Management, Taxation, Setting up your own Business. Most careers today benefit from a good background knowledge of the Business World.
For more detailed information on the Leaving Certificate Business syllabus click the link below.